Cistercian Abbey of Heiligenkreuz Abbey

Church, Monastery / abbey

This business is excellent…

  • TOP excursion destination
  • Quality Partner Lower Austria
  • Niederösterreich-CARD

Description

In 1133, Margrave Leopold III, the saint, at the suggestion of his son Otto, appointed Cistercian monks from the Morimond monastery in France to the vast forest area in the Sattelbach valley to tap into the area spiritually and economically. The monks brought important impulses not only in the fields of agriculture and forestry, but also in craftsmanship, and the monastery developed after modest beginnings. The Romanesque longhouse of the collegiate church was consecrated in 1187, the Gothic hall choir in 1295, the cloister with chapter house, fraterie, dormitory and fountain house were built in the 13th century. A special treasure worth mentioning are the glass paintings in grisaille technique. After his pilgrimage to Jerusalem in 1182, Duke Leopold V brought a piece of the Holy Cross with him and handed the relic over to the monastery.

Visitor information: 
T 02258/87 03-0.

General guided tours from Monday to Saturday: at 10, 11, 14, 15 and 16 hrs (at 17 hrs: only for a maximum of 6 persons with prior reservation at the monastery gate!).

Sundays and public holidays: at 11, 14, 15 and 16 hrs (at 17 hrs : only for a maximum of 6 persons with prior reservation at the Klosterpforte!)
Working hours for groups with their own guide daily from 9 - 11.30 and 13.30 - 17.

Prices

Location and how to get there